Project 52: Toppling Atlas

1 short story a week. 52 weeks a year.

Monday, May 31, 2010

Week Twelve: May 24th - May 30th

Pearl, the Nobody Girl.


This is the story of poor little Pearl.
Pearl, Pearl, the nobody girl.
An average girl with just an average face.
Average poor Pearl said she “just knew her place”.

Safe, poor Pearl, closet lacking any skeletons.
Mute, poor Pearl, quiet as a mannequin.

She could live in a glass house,
without ever thinking to pick up a stone.
She could be swept under somebodies shadow,
without ever casting one of her own.

Oh how she'd dance, my poor, talentless Pearl.
Oh how she'd sway, oh how she'd twirl!
She had no restraints, she never asked questions.
She had nothing to lose, she never had possessions.
And so sometimes she would laugh, and yes sometimes would cry.
And so sometimes walked facing the ground; and yes sometimes to the sky.

This is my story, the story of Troy.
Troy, Troy, the everyone boy.
Perfect when he'd sleep, and perfect when he'd wake.
Poor, perfect Troy just wanted a break.

Beloved, poor Troy, back always strained
Imprisoned, poor Troy, to all of us; chained.

I truly did love her, and still do; my Pearl.
She would hold my hand, and smile; my girl.
But I spent many nights staring at the ceiling;
Knowing she could never truly return the feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment